NNGS Development Page
The NNGS Source Code Project
This project is an effort to improve the functionality, maintainability
and portability of the NNGS server.
The SourceForge NNGS Project Page contains the latest releases, CVS code, forums and mailing lists.
- make it work with more clients
- make it easier to use in text mode
- make the code easier to understand and extend
- make the code more portable (allow it to run on more platforms)
- implement internationalization and add translations
- give people the chance to run their own server
- allow people to test clients and go programs more easily
The server consists of two parts:
- NNGS Server Source Code
This is the core of the server along with the help files etc.
- mlrate (Maximum Likelyhood Rating) rating library
This library (needed to build the server) contains all of the code for
handling player ratings.
The original NNSG server source code page is located at
The original mlrate source code can be found at
The current development is slowly moving forward, and new versions will be
- compilable and installable with minimal effort (autoconf etc.)
- installation provides all help files and data directories
- work based on NNGS code version #1623 from late 2000 (currently running)
- server has NOT been extensively tested since the recent changes
- many compiler warnings (mostly harmless) that need cleaning up
For information on how to build and run
the server, please see the README
file in the distribution.
A list of items currently planned or being worked on is in
the TODO file in the soure tarball.
The server has been compiled and run successfully on the following platforms:
If you know of any other systems that the server compiles and runs on, please send me an email. If you would like to port the server to other platforms, please feel free to do so, and submit patches or a list of required changes to the mailing list.
- Debian GNU/Linux
- Windows (using Cygwin >=1.1.8)
- Solaris 5.7 or later (earlier versions should work as well)
All comments (bug reports, patches, suggestions, etc.) should be sent to the
SourceForge NNGS mailing list.
To contact the administrators of the
NNGS site send mail to the
GPL'ed clients that are available and should work with NNGS include:
If you know of any GPL'ed clients that work with NNGS, please send me a mail.
Pages listing other Go programs (clients, playing programs, SGF viewers etc.) are available at the homepage of the British Go Association.
Please send comments on this page to
lohner at users.sourceforge.net